Monday, June 1, 2009

Reading Day is a Success!

Well, both girls were up at the crack of dawn. . . reading!! They each selected a huge pile of books last night for today's reading. They were so excited to go pick up their reading logs at the library! We also went last weekend to get the reading log for Barnes and Noble. After reading 8 books, Barnes and Noble gives the children a free book. I think they had that log completed by lunchtime!!

Haley read 11 Birthdays before I even rolled out of bed! She then went on to read a couple Geronimo Stilton and Katie Kazoo books. We checked out a bunch of books from the library and I convinced her to try out Trixie Belden (my childhood favorite series).

Maddie started with Ms. Coco is Loco (from the Weird School Series), then moved on to reading some "easier" books. I think she feels more successful when she is able to complete books more quickly. I made an eye appointment for her for tomorrow afternoon. I realized yesterday that she's gone through an entire bottle of children's ibuprofin in the last couple of weeks. At first, I just thought it was more allergy trouble. However, when I thought about it some more, I decided to ask her when she gets her headaches. Her response was, "I get them a lot when I read." Hence, the appointment!

We checked out dozens of easy readers from the library for Hunter to read. They changed the preschool version of the forms this year. Instead of writing in every single title, there are just numbers for him to color each time he reads a book. He's been busy all day coloring in his numbers :) His favorite book so far has been "Zoom, Zoom, Zoom." He's all boy and LOVES trucks!

I was pleasantly surprised by my piano student, Megan, who came to her lesson today complete with cupcakes (lit with a candle, no less). I don't know how she knew my birthday was this week, but it was a happy surprise! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment