Friday, May 15, 2009

Wrapping up the Rainforest

We are finished with our rainforest unit. Haley completed her manatee report yesterday (posted at the bottom of this page). Maddie just took notes on the sloth. I thought it would be too hard for her to organize the information into paragraphs. They both learned a lot about the rainforest. Maddie found The Magic Treehouse: Afternoon in the Amazon. She sat down and read from cover to cover this morning! She usually NEVER reads on her own. Normally, I set the timer for 30 minutes each day and as soon as it goes off, her book goes back on her shelf. Needless to say, they both were very interested in learning all about the unit study!

Haley has found an interest in chess. She and her friend, Zeke, have been teaching each other with a computer program I have. They played their first "real" game last Friday night at chess club. Although Haley won, they both still have a LONG way to go. Unfortunately, I have never played myself so I'm not much help at this point. Haley told Mrs. D (5th-grade JET teacher) that she was learning chess and she was so excited! She said she would make some copies for Haley and Zeke to learn some strategic moves.

The girls have been swimming nearly every day in our pool! The weather has been pretty nice, but the water is still way too cold for me to take a dip! The kids don't mind at all. . .they are just happy to be swimming again:) It was a long winter looking out our windows and seeing the pool all closed up!

Ede, Rachel and I are going to plan a "mystery camp" for the kids this summer. The kids can not wait to begin! I am really excited about all the fun things we have found to do with them, but I just wonder if there will be time. . . . I found some really fun lesson plans that have activities to learn about mysteries in history. We have chosen to learn about the Mary Celeste, Witch Trials, Lost City of Atlantis, and the Disappearance of Amelia Earhart. I also wrote a mystery when I was teaching 5th grade, "The Mystery of the Stolen Laundry." The kids will have to do a few scientific experiments and solve some math problems to eliminate suspects, and, eventually lead to the thief. We are going to read and discuss The Westing Game, a novel written in a style similar to the Clue Game. I think they will have a blast!

1 comment:

  1. We're all looking forward to mystery camp too! Everything we're planning for the summer seems to revolve around mystery camp... "is that after mystery camp?", "how long after mystery camp is that?" etc.

    ReplyDelete