Monday, March 23, 2009

Why I homeschool

I started to homeschool my oldest daughter when we ran out of schooling options for her. She was reading by age 3 and doing 5th-grade math by age 5. She missed the K cut-off date in MO, so wasn't allowed to go to kindergarten until right after she turned 6. The school district we are in has a "no-acceleration" policy. They claim to challenge students "horizontally" rather than "vertically." I think it's just BS for "we don't have the time or want to put in the effort to work with gifted children." I must have visited half a dozen private schools and called another couple dozen. Many of them flat-out told me to go elsewhere. They said they didn't have the resources to work with a child like my daughter.
Homeschooling Haley has reduced her boredom issues. I also feel that it eliminates comparisons with other students. There is also the benefit of flexibility, allowing Haley to set the pace of learning and work from a wide variety of educational materials.

No comments:

Post a Comment