Thursday, August 19, 2010

Week Full of Learning

We started a literary camp with the Carpenters this week. I've been excited for this week to come for the entire summer! One of the reasons is that I have decided to make writing a focus this year. All my kids are weakest in this area. Writing is so important in the grand scheme of things. The kids are going to need to communicate well when they continue on in their education and lives.

I am VERY impressed with the hard work and excitement I have seen with all four children this week. None of them has been particularly interested in writing in the past, but they are all starting to feel successful and enjoy it. I have included some samples of poems that my girls have written. It's pretty exciting!

The Cafeteria is a Zoo, by Maddie (metaphor activity)

When you walk into a cafeteria it stinks like monkeys.

Kids screech like parrots.

Some kids sneak out of cafeteria like a snake.

People herd in like elephants and waddle out like penguins.

When you walk in you hear A ROAR


Cars, by Haley (personification activity)

Wheels exclaimed; I want to stay here for a while I am really dizzy.
Mirrors danced when the car hit rocks which made it hop.
The engine roared as the car kept going up the steep, rocky, dirt hill.
Headlights flashed in the dark, rainy, sky and they gave of a continuous blinking bright light.
The hood waved hi every time the car hit a bump PLUMP PLUMP

No comments:

Post a Comment