Thursday, July 2, 2009

Party!!

I have decided to make a bigger deal when the kids "get promoted" to a new grade. Maddie just finished her 5th-grade math book, so I decided to take them to the mall to get a special treat. I told Haley when she finished her Algebra I book, we will have a party! She's already busy planning the party, complete with swimming and ice cream sundaes. (no surprise there!)

After telling Haley about the party, she was much more willing to get her math out and even wanted to do extra problem sets today! Her attitude was MUCH improved :) It is a big deal to complete a textbook and I think I haven't emphasized it enough in the past. Haley is on problem set 88 out of 130 and her goal is to finish by the end of the summer. I think that goal is very feasible.

Hunter has started 1st grade math minutes, so we told him he gets a special treat when he finishes as well. He is understanding the concepts of addition and subtraction, but is having trouble with bigger numbers. For instance, when I ask him what comes before 87, he thinks he has to start with #1 and count all the way up!! We have been working a lot with a 100 chart this week. He seems to really enjoy math, though, much more than reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment